Information (English) PDF

The Federal McKinney-Vento And Oklahoma State Law guarantee that you can enroll in school if you live:

in a shelter (family shelter domestic violence shelter, youth shelter, or transitional living program);

in a house or an apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss;

in an abandoned building or a car, at a campground, or on the street;

in temporary foster care or with an adult who is not your parent or legal guardian;

in substandard housing (no electricity, no water, and/or no heat); or

With friends or family because you are a runaway or unaccompanied youth.

If you have questions about enrolling in school or need assistance with enrolling in school, contact

Your Local School District Liaison:

Josh Bell


Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get help? Every school district must have a McKinney-Vento Liaison to help students in temporary housing.

Can a student enroll themselves in school? Yes, if the youth is living in temporary housing and not with their parents or legal guardians (known as unaccompanied youth) they can enroll themselves in school.

Can students still attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless? Yes, children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.

What should I do if I move? You will need to contact the school district's local liaison for homeless education for help in enrolling your child in a new school. Contact the school and provide any information you think will assist the teachers in helping your child adjust to new circumstances.


4 students happy in group picture


Tyrone School District

Home of the Bobcats